Monday 8 April 2013

WHAT TO DO?



There's this thing about choices. I simply cannot stop thinking about them -and i have been doing ALOT of thinking lately. I don't know whether it's their ability to affect our lives, those of our children and their children's children. Or maybe it's their uncanning ability to hold you responsible for whatever befalls you as a result of them. You choose to have unprotected sex, STI anyone? Unexpected pregnancy?? Anyone? Or maybe you choose to call your boss fat over the work phone extension to your "bff" and you get shipped to storage or worse, get fired! Yes, women are a tad too sensitive about choice of words. Maybe if you has chosen to call her "curvy" she might have taken it as a compliment.

We are faced with choices every single day. Some that define us, some that cause undefining moments. Do i choose Dan or Nate? What do i wear to this date? What course do i pursue in college? Extroverts find it easy to consult. I have found myself asking a complete stranger on my way to a date whether the red lipstick is too dramatic. Others find comfort in intuition. Listening to their heart. Maybe they are. Others have a track record of "Good Choices" Are there good choices? Or are they just afraid they will trip so they choose the "safe" path. The one often trodden. Take that job at Barclays Bank to please dad when you know full well you want to start a photography firm?

So after you choose, what next? WHAT TO DO? Well, a good friend of mine recently go out of an emotionally draining relationship. It's not the hurtful things he said but the hurtful things he did. Kissing another girl front of her and sleeping in the same bed a whole night with her might as well have been as painful as a blow to the nose. Maybe it was the things he said, "I love you,you just have to trust me. She's my girlfriend but you're my best friend. I cannot leave her. She has done nothing wrong"
I know what you're thinking, "How could she stay?" The question should be,"How could she not? " How could she not when she had grown so used to him. To share her deepest secrets, her worries, to reveal her weaknesses.

Good news is, she chose to leave. She decided she deserved better and she asked me,"What now? What do i do?" You have already made your choice, i told her. Now, now you hold your head high and VENTURE INTO THE UNKNOWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment